Clear all

ADVENT 2020  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
09/10/2020 9:38 pm  

@bowera You’re on the calendar. Day really doesn’t matter as all submissions are due before Thanksgiving. Thanks for being willing to participate. 

ReplyQuote
Douglas Clark
(@clarkd)
25/10/2020 10:10 am  

Abundance - Dec 4

Doug Clark

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
25/10/2020 4:20 pm  

You're on the list.  Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Connie Strickland
(@guest_connie)
29/10/2020 4:46 pm  

Sarah, I'll gladly take an advent quality.  Not knowing what qualities have already been chosen, I'll give several that appeal in me in the sense of the coming Christ child.  You may either select one or tell me which of my choices haven't been chosen yet.  

Choices:  hope, silence, adoration, expectancy, constancy, growth, rejoicing.  I can go back to the drawing board if these are taken.  I assume that you will select the order in which each word is presented.  Connie

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
29/10/2020 5:08 pm  

@guest_connie, I put you down for hope on December 23.  Regardless of the date, all submissions are due before Thanksgiving.  Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
Cathy Nove-Josserand
(@revelsc)
06/11/2020 12:14 pm  

I’d like to write about consecration. Any day is fine.

With love,
Cathy

ReplyQuote
Trina Kramer
(@kramert)
19/11/2020 6:40 am  

Hi Sarah, I apologize for not responding earlier. If you think that unity would work, I can take that quality.  I am open to other suggestions.   Trina

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
19/11/2020 8:18 am  

@kramert, Unity is perfect for December 1. Thanks so much!

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
30/11/2020 8:25 pm  

December 1: Unity

Dear Fellow Healers:

How precious it is to have the opportunity to once again cherish the Advent of the Christ in the days leading up to Christmas!  I think we can all use this call to action to uplift our own thought of Christmas as well as to enable the world to see beyond the challenges of 2020 and to find the healing Christ.  Our first offering this year is unity:

In the Bible Paul tells us "there is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" [Galatians 3:28].  In a year when our country, our world and possibly even our friends and family seem divided on every conceivable issue, is it really possible that we are ALL one in Christ Jesus? 

Using a priori reasoning, we remember that our unity is with God, our divine source or creator, and because we are all united with God, we must all be united with each other.  There is no other source or power for us to be united with and we must therefore be united with the same source as our fellow ideas of God.  During class instruction, rays of light being from the same sun and fingers being part of the same hand were some of the ways we were reminded to think of unity.  

It can be so easy to slip into judgmental "us" versus "them" ways of thinking but in reality there is no "them", only the "divine 'us' - one in good, and good in One." [Mis. 18:20-21]  We must choose to use our God-given ability to challenge every belief that our society or our government is fractured beyond repair and to see everyone as God sees them.  As part of this Advent season, whatever challenges come our way, let us "simply preserve a scientific, positive sense of unity with [our] divine source and daily demonstrate this"  [Pulpit and Press 4:9-11].

Joyfully,
Sarah

ReplyQuote
Brad Ragan
(@raganb)
30/11/2020 11:41 pm  

@sarah

It appears that not all the days are spoken for, I might be missing something though. If you need it, happy to take a day. I would love to cover light.

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
01/12/2020 7:33 am  

@raganb, that’s wonderful!  Light is great. 

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
01/12/2020 9:30 pm  

December 2 - Glory

Dear Fellow Healers,
  How many of us think of ourselves as being worthy of the blessing God bestowed on us by creating us for His glory (Isa. 43:7)? The Hebrew word translated glory has the sense of splendor, honor, and copiousness.As we continue to value the advent of the Christ, can we improve our thoughts of ourselves to bring them into line with the glory that God sees when He sees us as His spiritual and perfect creation and joint heirs with Christ?  Can we then expand that sense of reflected glory so that we are insisting that we can see it reflected in those around us? 
  Christ Jesus certainly showed us what the reflected glory of God was capable of as he fulfilled his holy mission, inspiring, teaching and healing.  He insisted that we would be expected to follow him in all his works - not by personal effort - but by being what Mrs. Eddy showed him to be in her hymn, Blessed Christmas Morn: gentle beam(s) of living Love. Your living as gentle beams of living Love will certainly show forth the glory of your Creator and increase the recognition of the Advent of the Christ. 
  Here's an offering on glory be one of our members:

I love the story of the angels coming to the shepherds to tell them about Jesus’ birth! (Luke 2:13, 14) "And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

The 1828 dictionary includes “splendor,” “praise ascribed in adoration,” and “the divine presence.”

I imagine it as quite overwhelmingly loud, like singing the Hallelujah chorus, but in the summertime there’s a silent glory in the fireflies blinking from ground to high in the trees in a hollow on my lawn.

Whether amazingly loud or silent, the glory of angel sounds in the advent season is a reminder of the forever coming of the Christ and “the unspeakable gift” of the Comforter.  

Joyfully,
Sarah

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
02/12/2020 6:06 pm  
December 3 - rejoicing

Dear Fellow Healers:
  There are few people today who are putting rejoicing at the top of their to-do-list with all the challenges brought on this year.  But Jesus said that he came and taught us so that our joy might be full.  The cause for rejoicing may not seem to be visible in our current human circumstances, but it is the knowledge of God and of His spiritual creation, revealed through the promised Comforter, that gives us courage that we will triumph over the current challenges.  And that is a cause for rejoicing.  Wherever we see evidence of good, of brotherly love, of unity, of generosity of spirit, we can indeed rejoice that the Christ is here, "all dreams of error breaking" (Hymn 412). It's worth looking for!

Here's an offering from one of you:

Rejoicing: The Hebrew prophets proclaimed that a Messiah would lead the people of Israel for the glory of God. This prophecy unfolded as the angels heralded the birth of Jesus Christ with tidings of joy to the shepherds as the night sky was bathed in the radiance of Love. In Science and Health p. 501:10-13, “The incarnation of Truth, that amplification of wonder and glory which angels could only whisper and which God illustrated by light and harmony, is consonant with ever-present Love.”

This rejoicing identified all power as belonging to God as stated in Ps. 97:1 “The Lord reigneth; let the earth rejoice.” When Jesus was brought to the temple with Mary and Joseph, two devout people were ready to rejoice over the birth of Jesus. The Holy Spirit moved Simeon to be there so he could see Christ Jesus before he passed away. A prophetess, Anna, was ready to give glory to the Christ. Of course, during his ministry Jesus continually guided his disciples and followers to give glory, love, and joy to God- an infinite rejoicing!

Christ Jesus gave us the Lord’s Prayer which all Christians have and are using in prayer. Mrs. Eddy mentioned in Pulpit and Press p. 22:5-8 “It is a matter for rejoicing that we unite in love, and in this sacred petition with every praying assembly on earth, - “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” Every day is God’s day! Rejoice in His Love.

Hymn 342

This is the day the Lord hath made;

Be glad, give thanks, rejoice; Stand in His presence, unafraid,

In praise lift up your voice.

All perfect gifts are from above,

And all our blessings show

The amplitude of God’s dear love Which every heart may know.

Let this rejoicing uplift your thought and remove anything that would seem to impede the joy of the season each and every day.

Joyfully,
Sarah

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
03/12/2020 8:30 pm  

December 4 - Abundance

Dear Fellow Healers:

One of our members shares these thoughts on abundance:

Abundance to me means no lack…of anything!

There is an abundance of instances of God’s bounty in the Bible:
  • In Genesis 1, the word “abundantly” is used twice in the description of the spiritual creation.
  • Joseph was able to provide for his family when they came to Egypt for food during the drought (Gen 42).
  • When Moses struck the rock in the wilderness, water came out so abundantly that there was enough for all the followers as well as their animals (Ex 17).
  • Elisha provided a never-ending pot of oil for the widow (2 Kings 4).
  • Peter’s fishing net was filled with so many fish that it broke (Luke 5).
  • Jesus fed the multitude with five loaves of bread and three fish and there were leftovers! (Matt 14).
       In First Corinthians, Paul explains: “Give in proportion to what you have.  Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly.  And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have.  Of course, I don’t mean your giving should make life easy for others and hard for yourselves.  I only mean that there should be some equality.  Right now you have plenty and can help those who are in need.  Later, they will have plenty and can share with you when you need it.  In this way, things will be equal” (I Cor 8, NLT).

Jesus said: “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10)

You never have to worry about having enough.  God supplies all—abundantly!

The following are another couple of my favorite citations regarding abundant supply:
  • “Divine Love always has met and always will meet, every human need.” (S&H p. 494)
  • “How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.  They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures.  For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light” (Psalms 36).
We can trust God to fulfill His unchanging law of abundant supply regardless of the current circumstances surrounding our economy.  Our uplifted outlook can help shine the light of the Advent of Christ and dispel the darkness that would try to cloud over our Christmas joy.

Joyfully,
Sarah

ReplyQuote
Sarah Hyatt
(@sarah)
Member Admin
04/12/2020 9:50 pm  

December 5 - Compassion

Dear Fellow Healers:
  As we continue to welcome the Advent of Christ, it's natural for one the qualities we focus on to be compassion.  It's a quality that motivated Jesus as he healed the multitudes.

COMPASSION

Compassion is God's love expressed to us in ways that precisely meet our human needs, and it is expressed by reflection in us as we recognize the crying needs of humanity for the promised Comforter - even if people can't articulate what exactly that means. 

Compassion demands action and prayers.

Jesus was compassionate as he healed.

The father of the prodigal was compassionate with his returning son, forgiving and restoring his place in the family.

The Samaritan took compassionate steps to help his neighbor.

Our compassionate prayers go out today to our families, community, and the world.

These prayers are felt daily as families stay home with their children helping them learn in virtually while at home.

Prayers go out for health care personnel who are caring for so many with skill and dedication.

Praying with compassionate prayers, we know these prayers are embracing government leaders and politicians so that they can recognize the needs of those they govern and wisely provide solutions that bless all.

People feel God’s law of abundance with our focus on compassion.

Compassion begins with each of us.

Our right desire to be more selfless, more compassionate, is a God-given desire, and we can pray to be alert to opportunities to express that Christly quality and be blessed ourselves in those actions.

This poem is one that speaks to practical, healing compassion:

LOVE'S COMPASSION

FREDDA R. GRATKE

From the May 1942 issue of The Christian Science Journal

zAnd Jesus wept.

He who had said,
"I am the resurrection,
and the life,"
could prove unreal the bitter dream of death.
None knew,
as he, the unreality
of all the sorrow, ignorance, and sin;
he found
the peace of God.
He who could say,
"My peace I give to you,"
who said his joy
no man could take away,
could view the world's pain as an unreal dream,
yet yearned
to heal and comfort all.
Dear God,
may we,
beholding as unreal
this mortal dream of agony and strife,
not pass
with careless eye the suffering throng,
but e'en as he,
the Saviour, strove and yearned
to gather all beneath Love's outstretched wings,
so may we see our suffering brothers' needs,
and sending forth
Love's healing balm,
include the whole world in our heart's embrace.
For Jesus loved.

Joyfully,
Sarah

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: